The next Gateway Storytellers meeting will be held at Crown Center, March 24th 2015. Members are invited to bring light refreshments to share. The business meeting will begin at 6:15 PM, and storytelling will begin promptly at 7:00 PM.
If you have a story to share, please contact Cathy Gregory at (314) 659-6966 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Stories are to be no longer than ten minutes.
Yearly dues are to be paid to Marilyn Sue Warren, Treasurer. Annual dues are $20. Please keep your membership current
Carol Watkins, President of St. Louis Gateway Storytellers
New officers have been elected for 2015.
President – Carol Watkins
Vice President – Cathy Gregory
Secretary – Liz Lippa
Treasurer – MarilynSue Warren
Carol Watkins has taken over duties for email newsletters. Please contact her at email@example.com if you would like to be added to the list.
Our January meeting was a mini-memorial meeting to celebrate the life and legacy one of our great regional storytellers and our past president, Jeanne Crews. She will be missed.
Just a reminder – The July meeting for the St. Louis Gateway Storytellers will be held at the Crown Center on Tuesday, July 22nd. The address is 8350 Delcrest Drive, St. Louis MO, 63124. Dinner starts around 6, business meeting around 6:45, stories commence at 7:00 PM.
We lost a giant in the local storytelling community recently – Lucy Grondahl was an amazing author, performer, and storyteller. While the meeting will not be a formal memorial, people are invited to tell stories Lucy would have liked.
Our president, Jeanne Crews, will be organizing dinner – picnic-style sandwiches and salads. A suggested donation of $3 covers your meal. Headcount numbers should be communicated to Carol Watkins, firstname.lastname@example.org before Monday night.
We had a wonderful meeting tonight – one of the best I’ve attended.
- Flavia Everman – 3 Golden Oranges – Spanish story about looking for brides
- Sharon Thompson – The Prince and The Throne – Short and punny
- Ric Vice – Blowin’ Up Stuff in the Basement – True story about chemistry sets and a lack of parental supervision
- Marion Nichols – Why are there no Merfaeries? – Original folktale about those wee creatures of the sea
- Liz Lippa – The Banyan Tree – A powerful personal story from a child Holocaust survivor
- Carol Watkins – Abe Lincoln and the people who knew him – Views of a future president as a youth
Attendance was about 20 people.
For the “business” side of things:
- 2013 dues are due. $20 covers the year, and dues may be sent to Gateway Storytellers, c/o Michael Bennett, 19 Debbie Dr, St. Peters MO 63376.
- The St. Louis Storytelling Festival will be held May 1-4, 2013. Link at http://stlstorytellingfestival.org/. Volunteers are needed to help with crowd control, emcee duties, registration, handing out programs, and even picking up folks at the airport. Please contact Ric Vice at (314) 994-7267.
- Flavia Everman will be traveling to Rwanda in an effort to document tribal folklore – the issue has some urgency as genocide in that country has nearly wiped out their oral histories. Please help support her efforts at her Kickstarter page at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/722807263/storybooks-from-rwanda?ref=live.
As a first order of business, the following people have been elected to the Gateway Storytellers Board of Directors for 2013.
- President – Jeanne Crews
- Vice President – Carol Watkins
- Secretary – Sharon Thompson
- Treasurer – Michael J Bennett
- Newsletter – Mary Garrett
- Website – Linda Bennett
We would also like to thank the kind and talented people who served in Board positions during 2011 and 2012.
- President – Loretta Washington
- Vice President – Jeanne Crews
- Secretary – Sharon Thompson
- Treasurer – Chris Sutton
And, as always, a huge thank you to the Crown Center in St. Louis. Our organization and meetings could not exist with their generous support.